This live training and education session takes 2 to 2 ½ hours. It focuses on integrating a Board’s fiduciary responsibilities with delivering safe healthcare that is also cost-effective healthcare. Topics discussed include:
· Board’s fiduciary responsibilities
· Background on patient safety and error in medicine
· Business case for patient safety
· Cost of complications of care
· Role of the board in setting priorities
· What does the Board bring to the table?
· Incentives for the right things
· Doing, not just talking
· What should you be prioritizing?
· Balancing competing goals
· How to change the culture
· Disclosure of error/Apologizing
· Roles of Patients/families in safety
· Monthly dashboard report
· Getting involved
· Patient Safety Walk Rounds
· Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
· Supporting your staff
· Support the right thing consistently (eg. safe site surgery)
· Learn from your mistakes
· Learn from others
· Safety is everyone’s job
The session is delivered via a Webex conference. Technically, there is no limit to the number of people you may have attend the session. However, from a practical standpoint, the session works best when attended by 10-20 people. That promotes an optimal degree of interaction among the participants. You will need a computer with internet connection and a telephone with speakerphone capability in order to access this module. The need for physical proximity of your participants to your speakerphone limits the size of the group somewhat. Ability to project the computer screen is essential for groups of more than 4 people. However, keep in mind that your participants do not all need to be at the same location. We can connect simultaneously to your participants at multiple sites. While most Boards choose to do this session at a regular meeting or a retreat, some have opted to let Board members logon to the session from home or work. In any event, there should be one individual from the Board designated to identify questions and ensure that all can hear the question.
Cost: $750 (total cost for the group)
This session may be scheduled at your convenience at any time on a weekday or weekend. Just call us at (716) 550-1106 or use the “Contact Us” tab on the website and let us know that you are interested in scheduling Patient Safety Module #2 and we will contact you about the details.